Supplements, Shakes, Powders, Pills and Snake Oils

I have an acquaintance that heard about Greta's ADEM and called excitedly to tell me she can help. Her solution: products by Reliv. She even played a testimonial for me by a man affected by a demyelinating disorder and his recovery, thanks to Reliv.

This is just one of many "products" out there that claim to help people. Most all of them are MLM formats and you have to sign your life away to get the benefits. Has anyone tried Reliv and has it been beneficial to warrant the shrinking of your wallet? Or is it just another snake oil?

What are some various supplements out there that folks have tried that are actually available without going through an MLM and actually work?

We use ultra concentrated DHA-EPA (Omega 3 fish oil). It has helped tremendously with our daughter's concentration and sharpness of mind. It helps in the healing of the brain. We also see a chiropractor who is amazing. They really do more than crack backs! I was skeptical and now convinced going on two years post ADEM.

We have emotional meltdowns too. We try reasoning, but usually resort to her spending time alone in her room. She can play or whatever while she is in there and it helps us all with cooling down. We find that having a confrontation is pointless because she just gets unreasonable. Best of luck to you!

Awesome information, thanks for sharing Jrac.

I like the "time out" in her room idea. This sometimes happens just by virtue of Greta herself slamming the door to her room and giving herself time out. The problem comes when we butt heads on something that has to be done then - and time out isn't an option.

Jrac said:

We use ultra concentrated DHA-EPA (Omega 3 fish oil). It has helped tremendously with our daughter's concentration and sharpness of mind. It helps in the healing of the brain. We also see a chiropractor who is amazing. They really do more than crack backs! I was skeptical and now convinced going on two years post ADEM.

We have emotional meltdowns too. We try reasoning, but usually resort to her spending time alone in her room. She can play or whatever while she is in there and it helps us all with cooling down. We find that having a confrontation is pointless because she just gets unreasonable. Best of luck to you!

Jordan does the slamming of the door too! Also, screaming and stomping so hard it sounds like she is coming through the floor! We are currently working on assigning daily chores. I constantly have to request she clean up after herself, 3-4 times and she seems to ignore me. In fact, she spends more time trying to get out of doing things rather than just doing as I ask. After school, I have always allowed some down time, watching TV and having some ice cream. Next week, I decided that she will get that time after she puts school stuff away and completes a couple simple tasks. So, I am trying the reward after the chore. We will see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

( Now, we have given time out because she didn't cooperate and then she just has to come back out to complete that task at hand. We've even had to do the time out 2-3 times until we get to our goal. Just be calm and persistent in the process. They can't get the feeling of the upper hand or they'll run with it!)

I have tried every thing to gain some strength and a lot of these things are very expensive and useless to most people with autoimmune problems. I almost killed myself taking Vit 6 based on what a pharmacist recommended. My neurologist recommended B 12 for a short period of time based on my blood work. I know we all want to feel better and do anything we can that might help but be very careful to check out alternatives and powders with you main Doctor. A lot of them are dangerous. Be cautious using tinctures also that are homeopathic. I have tried them all.

Has anyone tried this bone broth supplement? Does that really help?