Online podcast about ADEM

I belong to the Transverse Myelitis Association, and they are having a podcast about ADEM. I will be participating, and I encourage you to do so as well. We need to get the word out that adults also get ADEM, and I have a feeling this will primarily be about children & ADEM. Not that that's a bad thing, but any help we can get is good, right? Here's the info:

ASK THE EXPERT PODCAST SERIES

Join The TMA’s “Ask the Expert” Podcast Series on

Learning About Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis

On May 19, 2016 at 12:00 PM Eastern Time

WithDr. Benjamin Greenberg | University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
& Dr. Lana Harder | University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Register Here: https://myelitis.org/event-registration/?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm/event/register&id=70&reset=1

What is ADEM? What causes it? What are the recommended treatments commonly used? Does it affect children and adults? What are the symptoms? Does one recover fully?

If you have questions about acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, a rare neuro-immune disorder, please email them to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■. Our experts will answer your questions.

During the podcast, you can interact with the speakers and the moderator to ask questions through the chat function using the GoToWebinar feature.

ABOUT OUR GUEST SPEAKERS

Benjamin M. Greenberg, MD, MHS

Associate Professor | Director of the Transverse Myelitis and Neuromyelitis Optica Program | Vice Chair of Translational Research and Ambulatory Care Department of Neurology and Neurotherapeutics | UT Southwestern Medical Center Childrens Health, Dallas, TX

Dr. Greenberg is recognized internationally as an expert in rare autoimmune disorders of the central nervous system. He splits his clinical time between seeing both adult and pediatric patients. He routinely consults on the inpatient units of Zale-Lipshy University Hospital, Parkland Memorial Hospital, and Children’s Health. His research interests are in both the diagnosis and treatment of transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica, encephalitis, multiples sclerosis, and infections of the nervous system. He is actively involved in developing better ways to diagnose and prognosticate for patients with these disorders. He has led an effort to improve biorepository development and has created uniform protocols for sample handling and analysis. As part of this initiative, his research has identified novel biomarkers that may be able to distinguish between patients with various neurologic disorders. He also coordinates trials that study new treatments to prevent neurologic damage and restore function to those who have already been affected. He currently serves as the Director of the Neurosciences Clinical Research Center at UT Southwestern and is a Cain-Denius Foundation Scholar. Dr. Greenberg is a member of The Board of Directors of The Transverse Myelitis Association and also Chairs The TMA Medical and Scientific Council.

Lana Harder, PhD, ABPP

Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Neurology and Neurotherapeutics, Dallas, TX

Dr. Lana Harder completed her doctoral training at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas and completed her pre-doctoral internship at the Kennedy Krieger Institute and Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. She completed her post-doctoral fellowship in Pediatric Neuropsychology at Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. Since 2008, Dr. Harder has served as a Clinical Neuropsychologist at Children’s Medical Center Dallas (CMCD) and as Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Assistant Professor of Neurology and Neurotherapeutics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. She is board certified in Clinical Neuropsychology and specializes in the neuropsychological evaluation of pediatric patients, from infancy to young adults, with disorders of the central nervous system. Dr. Harder serves as the neuropsychologist for the CMCD Pediatric Demyelinating Diseases Clinic. Research interests include cognitive and psychosocial outcomes for pediatric multiple sclerosis (MS), transverse myelitis (TM), acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), clinically isolated syndrome (CIS), and neuromyelitis optica (NMO).

* The Executive Committee of the TMA with the medical and scientific council determines the content and topics of the podcasts. Sponsors are not able to participate in or influence the education program.

Copyright © 2016 The Transverse Myelitis Association, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are a member of The Transverse Myelitis Association

Our mailing address is:
The Transverse Myelitis Association
1787 Sutter Parkway
Powell, OH 43065-8806

This looks great, LauraK! Have you done a broadcast to your members about it?

Seenie

I have no idea how to "broadcast" it - no one ever told me how!

Also, I really would like to step down from moderating. I'm having so much trouble just managing my life responsibilities. I'm happy to share info, but I think it's too much right now.

Laura

Modsupport said:

This looks great, LauraK! Have you done a broadcast to your members about it?

Seenie

OK, Laura, thanks for the headsup. Would you like me to broadcast it for you? I'd love to show you how (it's so easy, even an old girl like me can do it, LOL)

I'll PM you about moderating issues then. You take good care of yourself FIRST. We will be in touch.

Seenie

Thanks for sharing. It is much appreciated. I just registered for the event. We feel so blessed and fortunate that Dr. Greenberg is our son's neurologist. He is so positive about his recovery and although recovery is slow we see slight improvements on a weekly basis. We have come so far since the initial diagnosis. We will most certainly listen.Thanks once again.

You are indeed fortunate to have Dr. Greenberg. I met him at the Symposium last October. He is knowledgeable and positive, and I appreciate that very much. I also met Dr. Harder, and she is the same. I hope it’s a good podcast. :smiley: