How were people diagnosed

MY LONG AND SOMEWHAT DETAILED STORY
I was diagnosed in April 2018, just as we were moving back to Northern CA from NY, at age 64. My husband and (adult) kids realized something was wrong with me, but kept it among themselves because you don’t tell me ANYTHING. I’m kinda bossy, and always right.

In Feb 2018, I traveled to Uruguay with some friends to take a woodworking class, and then on to Argentina. I had done woodworking before, and was nominally skilled. But once class started, I couldn’t do anything! It was awful. I slept a lot, and finally my best friend sent me an email saying “you bow out of things when we travel, but this is ridiculous!” She was right. I slept and slept and slept, I had little interest in anything. I loved Buenos Aires, I think. I can’t really remember.

Back in NY, my family noticed I was slowing down, sleeping a lot, losing my memory (which had always been a source of pride to me), had developed a minor facial palsy (crooked smile), and was slurring my speech. No one told me though, they just worried amongst themselves.

One of our kids lives here about 45 mins away from our new home in Sonoma. My husband was still in NY. My arrival in CA on April 18 was a nightmare. I flew in to SFO, and couldn’t keep my mind together. I managed to picked up our car from a lot, and drove to Target to pick up a comforter. While at Target, I somehow managed to lose (1) my passport, (2) a credit card, (3) my mind. I didn’t know any of this at the time. I drove to West County Sonoma, and could not find the key to our house, which our realtor had left for us. My calls went unanswered because it was midnight in CA, 3AM in NY. I couldn’t get in. I decided to look for a hotel, and drove to our local airport, Santa Rosa, and found a hotel. That’s where I realized I only had one form of official ID, and the guy wouldn’t give me a room without 2 forms. I finally cried enough that he let me have a room. Where I lost (1) my iWatch, and (2) a bracelet.

I got a call from my son who told me he was at the house, and said we should go to breakfast. I drove home, put my stuff inside, and we went to my favorite restaurant in Guerneville. After we ate, he told me (per my husband) I had two options: [A] he could take me to the hospital, or [B] we could call an ambulance. He took me to the Hospital.

Once there, I was put through two protocols, one for stroke and one for MS. The MS protocol included an MRI which showed a LOT of lesions on my brain. My husband arrived the night of the 19th. So began the ADEM process. I was in the hospital, Sutter Santa Rosa, for five days.I had more tests than I ever thought possible, though I got over my lifelong fear of needles. Their Lumbar Puncture people were completely incompetent, making it the scariest and most painful experience of my life.

I was very fortunate to have two of the world’s best neurologists: Dr. Nancy Nealon at Weill Cornell in NYC, and Dr. Riley Bove at UCSF. Both specialize in treating ADEM and MS. I am so grateful for both. MRIs and Lumbar Punctures and Bloodwork are now all clear. WHEW!

I learned that my balance was off. No kidding, right? Also, my memory. I had to rely on my husband and daughter to fill in the blanks of things I couldn’t remember almost immediately after being told. It was an incredibly frightening time. My biggest anxiety came from the “not knowing.” I knew that I had ADEM, but I didn’t know what that meant for my life. Would it happen again? Would it get worse? Would I get worse? How completely would my life change? I was terrified of the unknown. In many ways I still am.

BTW, I also was given a battery of neurological tests - Yup, the same cognitive tests that Trump took (among others). It was the only time I’ve ever been able to relate to him. I wasn’t given a pass/fail grade though, I was given results. I had lost a part of my executive function abilities, which had been strong. I also lost some straight up recall ability. I knew this, though. Sometimes you just know what’s missing.

I also lost a bit of physical balance. Even today, when standing, if I turn sharply to my left, I nearly fall over or get a sense of dizziness that I need to take hold of. I haven’t fallen YET, so at least that’s good. In all fairness, some of this could be age-related, but I think most of it is ADEM leftovers.

The worst thing for me was and is the loss of my handwriting, which was my pride and joy. Yeah, I know, I’m too full of pride. I had a small journal book (Journal of No F*&^cks) in which I wrote some notes. Not only were they illegible, but evidently I’d also written some notes in French … which I don’t speak (except for some HS French in the 70’s). It was quite strange, to say the least. I still can’t decipher what I’d written.

Fortunately, or un-, I can’t remember a great many of the details of the time from Feb-June of 2018. What stayed with me was and is the fear of the great unknown, but here I stand as a testament to surviving it.

Sorry, not sorry, for the length of this. I hope someone will see something in here that they can relate to, and won’t feel so frightened or alone. I know that Ben’s Friends ADEM site has been a gift to me.

Stay well, wash your hands, and WEAR YOUR MASK.

XOXO

Rita

Rita,
Hi I’m Lynn. I can relate to a lot of what you wrote today. However, I am in my car and running errands. I will write back this afternoon. No fear, our site was a life saver for me too.! Hang in there…we’re here for you!!!:sunglasses::mask::+1:

Rita,
I was not diagnosed for one month and a radiologist my husband worked with diagnosed me, because he had seen one case of ADEM when he was in medical school umpteen years ago. We then went to Vanderbilt, where the smart guys are. After 6 hours in the ER, they stated they had no idea what was wrong with me. They sort of settled on what the radiologist determined. Point is very few doctors know about ADEM. If you found doctors that do, you are very lucky.

Most of my initial symptoms started to correct after 4 1/2 days in the hospital on steroids. The worst was that I lost all function of my hands. I had to learn to use them again. Most of us are left with some type of disability. I can use my hands, but my fine motor skills in them kinda stink. My personality is somewhat different. Before I saw in gray shades, now everything is black and white. Before I could handle 8 things at a time…not anymore. I am also more sensitive emotionally. But…compared to the day of diagnosis, I am great!!!

We can and do get better, however, it can be a long process. Frustration comes along with it and it is not your friend. Take one day at a time. Celebrate each and every little improvement. How are you compared to yesterday, last week, last month and when you were diagnosed. We are here for questions, comments and when you just want to vent. There is a lot of experiences and sharing here. You can talk to me or the whole community! There is a lot to read on the site, if you wish. Take care of yourself and stay in contact.

Lynn

Hey AlexandraSwe,

Welcome to the 30 year old ADEM Club.

The worst Birthday presents we have been given so far… and hopefully last bad one.

1 Like

Thanks Grim!
For me my diagnosis has been both a blessing and a curse :sweat_smile: I’ve learned a lot about myself and never felt better, because now I belive in my abilities to go through a tough time mentally and my physical abilities and strength :blush:

Me and one of my friends have laughed about it, she’s one year younger and said “life will go down hill when you turn 30” and I was like “30 is the new 20” so I jinxed it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: Keep it up.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!”
― Sylvester Stallone, [Rocky Balboa]

The words i have lived with since i was very young.

2 Likes

Never seen Rocky but I have heard of that quote before :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve always have had the ability to see something positive in every negative thing that happens. Little like if life gives you lemons make lemonade :sweat_smile:
I’m a spiritual person and always believed in destiny, that what ever way you choose in life you will always end up where you were supposed to :see_no_evil: and that in everything that happens to you is a lesson about yourself or others.
I’ve lost count on how many times I have been “knocked down” but I always bounce back up as a stronger person :slightly_smiling_face:
But I must admit that I have been and still get frustrated sometimes.
But I grew up with a mother with MS so when this ADEM “shit” happened I knew what was in front of me. That’s why I’m still fighting to get better and haven’t given up hope yet of walking some day :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

:+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

keep it up! Keep Positive. Keep fighting.

1 Like

Hi Lynn, I’ve actually been a member here since October 2019, I think. I read all the updates and keep up with people’s progress.

I just had a new MRI last week, and they’ve found some new lesions and spots. Just what I need mid-pandemic, mid-wildfires here in Sonoma County, mid-BLM worries, mid-election season!

I’m battling thru this in the best way I can, but man, I am scared.

XOXO

1 Like

Hi Rita,

Without getting into politics, the world is on its head and yes I too am fearful. Did the doctor say anything to you about the new spots?
Lynn

Hi all,

Tina (@tsepehrifar) from Ontario joined us during the early stages of the Pandemic. From what I am reading, she does not have a diagnosis, but she says she started feeling numbness after he mother passed away. She mentions that it got worse everyday (problems with walking and speaking). Docs think it’s either ADEM or MS, but was told they cannot diagnose her as they want to wait and see if she gets more attacks. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

-Arjuna

Arjuna,
When I was in the hospital, even though I had MRIs revealing ADEM, some of the doctors insisted I had MS. The head neurologist finally dropped the MS diagnosis when he saw my eyesight was not affected.

Lynn

1 Like

Thank you for the response @Lynn. Unfortunately it seems to happen all too often! I’ve seen stories where it had been dragged out for quite a while before they finally came to the right diagnosis. Did your situation take a while, or were you (thankfully) given the right diagnosis quickly enough? Struggling to find the right diagnosis is no doubt demanding, especially given the fact that at the time, you mention you lost use of your hands @Lynn?

-Arjuna

It took a month for me to be diagnosed. My husband is a physician and he ran all kinds of tests; all negative. He then ordered a cervical MRI and the radiologist we have worked with, found the ADEM. He had seen only one case of it 30 odd years earlier when he was in medical school. If he hadn’t found the ADEM, we have no idea where I’d ended up. We then proceeded to Vanderbilt and after 6 hours, they doctors told my husband, “we have no idea, what’s wrong with your wife.” So, my husband said, “what about the diagnosis we walked in with?” They learned from me.

1 Like

Unbelievable. I know you have been a rock in this community a long time, but I didn’t know it was your husband who really helped you with the right diagnosis, that’s remarkable and I am so glad to hear it! On the other hand, it’s unfortunate that the ADEM diagnosis takes such a long time still, and there are still stories of misdiagnosis with MS.

When I was in the hospital, my husband kept telling me, “You have a diagnosis of ADEM…don’t let them stick you with MS.” I didn’t. Sometimes, the patient simply needs to fight for themselves. Our site and helping others, actually helped me.

1 Like

Hi Rita,
We haven’t heard from you in quite a while. How are you doing now?

Lynn

Hi Lynn, I haven’t been avoiding you or Ben’s Friends at all. We just moved (again) from Sonoma County to Alameda CA, so it has been hectic. I have a new PT who has been great in helping me with balance issues at this stressful time. Otherwise, it’s basically status quo. My new New Normal. Hope you’re well. XO

1 Like