Connection to Lyme

Hello,

This is my first post to the Forum, having recently learnt that my mother’s doctors are considering ADEM as the diagnosis for her nervous system inflammation and scattered symptoms. I will give a brief chronological recap of her history and then I have a question for you. She is 60 years old, lives in Sweden, and her medical history is clean of any major issues except for those noted below.

Last summer, my mother sought treatment for a variety of pain and mental symptoms that came and went over more than a month. Eventually, after being dismissed repeatedly by her general physician, she was diagnosed with Lyme. She had had multiple tick bites earlier in the summer—as is typical for summer in her area—but had not seen the “bull’s eye” mark, which is common but not necessary for a Lyme infection. She received antibiotics and apparently recovered within a couple of weeks.

However, she continued to experience strange symptoms that the doctor could not reconcile. She felt that it was very similar to the strange symptoms she experienced prior to getting the Lyme diagnosis and wondered whether it was a recurrence or chronic effects of Lyme.

About three weeks ago, she experienced an acute escalation in symptoms. She went from being able to routinely walk the dog for 6+ miles per day to experience such pain and fatigue that she could not move from her bed to the bathroom without assistance. At this point, she sought urgent care and was finally given a referral to a neurologist. The neurologist’s initial assessment was that it was a likely brain tumor and was given a terrible prognosis, but following an MRI they discovered significant inflammation of the brain and spine and revised the diagnosis to MS or ADEM.

From the beginning, my mother and father suspected advanced Lyme disease due to the similarity of initial symptoms to those preceding her treatment for the disease. However, doctors were largely dismissive of this layman’s theory, due to procedure guidance in our country that conclude that Lyme, once properly treated, cannot recur. Following the MRI, however, they took a spinal tap. They discovered elevated levels of white blood cells (I believe) which are consistent with, but not clear evidence of, Lyme disease. They, of course, also found Lyme antibodies which would be expected in any patient with a previous Lyme infection.

She has now received protocol treatment for ADEM—cortisone and dialysis—and she is waiting for a post-treatment MRI. I hope that she responds to the treatment and that the doctors are correct that she is experiencing monophasic ADEM.

I wonder if anyone else has experience of the intersection of ADEM and Lyme? There are at least four hypotheses that I can think of:

1) There is no connection between her Lyme symptoms last year and the ADEM symptoms this year. Pure coincidence.

2) Last year’s Lyme infection was actually the first occurrence of multiphasic ADEM or MS, but was misdiagnosed and mistreated with antibiotics, but faded without treatment until it recurred this spring.

3) Lyme disease, or residual effects of the disease, triggered ADEM but is otherwise unrelated.

4) Her current condition is not ADEM but an advanced form of incorrectly treated Lyme disease.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Did you experience symptoms for multiple months before being diagnosed with ADEM? Were you misdiagnosed with Lyme disease and/or have you heard of people with a similar history who were misdiagnosed with ADEM?

Thank you so much for sharing your hard-won expertise in this painful area of medicine.

David, chronic symptoms from lyme and how to treat them are about as perplexing as it gets. You may wish to join our lyme community for more information -- there is a link to it in the communities list. I hope your mom's treatment is effective and that she recovers swiftly.

Thank you, dancemom. I will check out the posts on that board too.

dancermom said:

David, chronic symptoms from lyme and how to treat them are about as perplexing as it gets. You may wish to join our lyme community for more information -- there is a link to it in the communities list. I hope your mom's treatment is effective and that she recovers swiftly.

My daughter was released after a 4 day stay in the hospital saying she had Lyme disease. She was even put on meds for it. 3 days later we were told it wasn’t and were back at square 1 without a diagnosis for 3 more weeks. It took s total of 6 weeks to get a diagnisis. A total of 5 ER visits. Labs 2 times a week, 6 visits to her primary doctor, a 4 day stay at a local hospital. On May 4, 2015 at our 5 th ER visit I asked for her to be transferred to CHAD in Lebanon, NH, 1 1/2 hours away from home. With in 10 hours we had a diganosis.

Thanks for sharing your experience. ADEM seems very difficult to diagnose, because it is so rare and the symptoms so manifold. It took a long time for my mom to get a diagnosis last year, but at least it seems her doctors now are familiar with proper ADEM treatment.

Zoelyn's Mom said:

My daughter was released after a 4 day stay in the hospital saying she had Lyme disease. She was even put on meds for it. 3 days later we were told it wasn't and were back at square 1 without a diagnosis for 3 more weeks. It took s total of 6 weeks to get a diagnisis. A total of 5 ER visits. Labs 2 times a week, 6 visits to her primary doctor, a 4 day stay at a local hospital. On May 4, 2015 at our 5 th ER visit I asked for her to be transferred to CHAD in Lebanon, NH, 1 1/2 hours away from home. With in 10 hours we had a diganosis.

I was diagnosed in May 2013 and one of the first tests run, was for Lyme, which was negative. Did your mother simply have a brain MRI or did they include spinal MRIs? My major lesion was in the spinal cord cervical region and with what they felt were lesions also in the brain. Overnight, I had severe pins and needles from the bottom of my feet to my waist. The next day it was up to my chest and started working down my arms and into my hands. This continued until I was hospitalized a month later. 4 1/2 days of IV cortisone and my symptoms started to correct, 2 years later, I am left with neuropathy symptoms in my hands and wrists. However, all in all, I am doing very well compared to the spring of 2013.

Lynn

I am not sure of the type of MRI, but I think it was both brain and spinal, because they detected inflammation / lesions in both areas. I am glad that you are feeling better and that you continue to improve. I am also starting to understand what a long period of recovery is in front of her, recovering from the damage, even in a best case scenario…

What you all need to do, is take one moment at a time, one day at a time. Celebrate what looks like even a tiny improvement. She will most likely become impatient and frustrated. I still do. Stress will tend to make things worse. Stress still can cause problems for most of us even 2 or more years post-ADEM. What has helped me is GOOD nutrition, vitamins, exercise, sleep and not giving up. She'll have good and bad days...it's all normal. Encourage her to keep trying to return to as much as possible, things she has always done. Any time you have questions, or just want to vent...we're all here for you. Take care, Lynn