Adolescent child diagnosed with ADEM - Aggressive behaviour a major feature - Any suggestions?

I am the parent of an adolescent who, at the age of 14 had a fever and about a week later, collapsed and had major psychotic symptoms. After 2 years of beating our heads against mental health professionals, we finally got through to a neurologist who found white spots on an MRI and diagnosed ADEM, saying the damage was done. Apart from a few more times collapsing, the main presentation our daughter has is an uncontrollable rage against mainly us in her immediate family for perceived minor indiscretions and often for no reason at all (just feeling angry and letting out stress). It is at the point where we are considering long term outside care options (we have had police having to intervene at home regularly).

I am interested if anyone else has a similar experience, or knows of anyone with similar and whether or not there is anything that can be done. We do not want our child living somewhere else, but fear for her safety, our younger son's safety and all of our sanity. Aside from being on seroquel for psychotic symptoms (now not present), chlomipramine for OCD (a former issue, but now not a big issue - not as much as general anxiety and fixation on things), a new psychiatrist has started her on Aripiprazole, which among other things, is given to autistic patients to reduce irritability.

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

Flower -

From looking at other posts, I do think that emotional control is a side effect of ADEM, but the symptoms you're describing sound more significant that what I have experienced. Sorry to not have more to contribute, but I wanted to reply to your thread to let you know we were here and supporting you, even if we don't have direct experience. I hope others can help.

Best,

Ken

Hi Flower, When I got my virus I became very anxious to the level I was having anxiety attacks at night time. I could not watch TV programmes that had people arguing in or people cheating on each other in relationships as the anxiety was too much. I began meditation in April which was near the end of my subacute stage and that has helped so much. For me it was an obvious choice to meditate which soothes/relaxes/nourishes the central nervous system when it has been severely attacked. It took me 9 or 10 months for the extreme anxiety to go. I was very stressed in my acute stage - my poor blood pressure. Meditation is offered to kids and it helps regulate mood, it is apparently offered to some kids with autism, ADHD, and mood disorders.

Thanks Ken & Hele. Can I ask what are the stages and how long they last? What is sub-acute, acute, etc.

Hi Flower - I can't say for sure what it means to be acute, sub-acute etc. All I know is that my son was very very emotional following ADEM. Not in a violent or hyper way, but he could cry at the drop of a hat. If he did not want to go to bed and you said it was bedtime, be ready for tears. Not a tantrum, just really weepy. Almost as fast as he would get weepy, he would be fine a second later. Even today he is still more emotional than his identical brother, but it's hard to tell what is ADEM and what is personality. Post ADEM he was easily distracted, so concentration was an issue. I would say that lasted about a year. I'm not sure if the above is helpful but I hope my story helps you understand what other families have gone through. Best, Ken

Thanks Ken.It sounds tough to see your child being emotional and not being able to 'fix' the problem so to speak.

We are 2 years in and still going. Unfortunately for us, the hospital did not pick up ADEM. It is a recent diagnosis, almost 2 years after the event. It seems that most kids, if treated, get better slowly but surely. Our daughter has demyelination, so I am wondering if the anxiety, irritability, the crying (she does that too), the lack of concentration, etc is permanent, or part of a slow but changing stage.

Hi Flower!

Wow, your plate is full. I had a teenager without ADEM who had similar symptoms due to Bipolar disorder. When that child chose to leave home at 16.5 years old and live with another family, we actually breathed a huge sigh of relief. She learned to stop the outbursts thanks to the ability of society to polish off rough edges plus her native intelligence. She managed to get life under control by her early 20's. She is now 35, married, working as an ICU nurse and expecting another child. We have a wonderful relationship now, but there are years when all I did was cry and worry.

OCD is a problem in my family - ex-husband, eldest daughter, eldest son - as is Tourette's - ex and both sons- and Bipolar disorder - both son's and the second daughter mentioned above. I sometimes felt like I was trying to live in the eye of a hurricane as all hell was revolving around me.

Hang in there. Hopefully she will get better. Ask for second opinions. Test her for gluten intolerance and other possible food allergies - major components of some of my children's issues. Take time for yourself. My two younger children watched the turmoil and vowed to each other to never make their mother deal with such things again. They kept that vow. They never gave me a moment's worry. They told me about it when the youngest was 25. I remain in awe of their sensitivity and devotion.

Then I got ADEM. Incorrectly diagnosed as a brain tumor initially and not treated until 4 months after the initial event. The hurricane still rages and I struggle to live in the eye.

Deborah

SweetKnits, I appreciate hearing your story and your honesty in giving it. There is a part of me that honestly would be relieved if she were not at home, another part that feels guilty for thinking that and another major part that is mourning her lost childhood. I have hope that things will settle, but it seems a long way off if at all. I will definitely check out food allergies. Can I ask how you found out - was it a doctor led thing, a natropath, nutritionist, etc?'

I am sorry for your struggle, understand it somewhat and fully understand the courage and energy it takes to continue it.

My primary care doc is an osteopath, and he is the one who found the gluten connection. From my diagnosis, we tested all my children and the 9 current grandchildren as my ex's sister has Celiac's so they have it on both sides. 3 of the 4 are gluten intolerant, the fourth is allergic to dairy. Of the 9 grandkids, 5 are gluten intolerant, two allergic to dairy, 2 no current allergies.

The hurricane goes on.

Deborah

Flower,

My heart goes out to you. We had an episode with Greta that had me wondering if it would ever get to the point that we could not care for her. It was a scary moment. Yes, anything can set her off. She was 8 when ADEM struck and we were blessed to get diagnosis and treatment right away. But remnants of the damage is still there.

I asked a neuro biology student once to choose as his dissertation mind mapping to aid those with brain lesions/brain injuries. I explained to him that because of ADEM, my daughter has all kinds of "detours" in her brain now. Some detours work okay. Others set off a global war every time. I wish I could figure out which pathways are affected the most and what words/phrases/actions/processes trigger it. It would be much easier to focus therapy on detours that needed to be better repaired. Hoping some day this can be accomplished.

In the meantime, we draw many points of communication with Greta based on animals and her horse therapy riding. She loves animals dearly, especially horses. We have a good relationship with her instructors and are able to communicate to them areas where Greta is struggling and they look for opportunities to teach/reinforce concepts during their riding session. We then can draw Greta back to that teaching at home. Example - if Greta rides with her heels up - it sends a wrong message to the horse and the horse acts up. When Greta gets out of whack, we tell her that her heels are up and she needs to calm down and communicate correctly with the family. It has helped many times.

There are some days that we just write it off and then pull the boys aside later and say, this isn't the hill we're going to die on. I know it's not fair and it's not right, but she didn't ask for ADEM either. Other times, we have to get her to where she can calm down enough to where we can tell her she's not the only person in the world and there are other family members and friends affected by her actions. It takes tons of patience and switching off between my husband and I. Sometimes I'm the one that starts to get angered by Greta's actions an he steps in and takes over. At other times he's had his limit and I have to take over.

The new "rut" she seems to be in is that apologizing or admitting she was the one wrong is "embarrassing" to her. She can see what we are communicating to her, but she says she can't stop being angry because it embarrasses her. She can't change her mind. It's too embarrassing to admit her fault in it. We haven't figured out how to get through this one yet. Still praying for insight. It's not easy. It's more challenging than anything I've ever done in parenting. Greta currently isn't on any medication, but we watch her diet carefully and take comfort in the fact that she saves the "worst" for home. What the neuro psychologist at the hospital told us is that these kids feel safe at home. They try so hard all day long at school, they are very agitated and when they get home to the safety of family, they finally let out all the frustrations they worked so hard to keep in all day. The good news is that they feel "safe" at home. The bad news is that it is really grueling on the family. Hang in there.

Wow, you have described pretty much our house. The issue of ownership of responsibility is a huge one our daughter has had for a long time. I have never quite been able to get to the bottom of it but it seems to be something along the lines of 'If I say I was wrong it means I am a bad person.'. Even if it flys completely in the face of logic, she will say it is not her fault. The 'embarrassing' bit with fault admission really hits with what is going on with her.

My wife and our daughter are currently in Japan - where we had to go to get a decent set of testing done and a diagnosis. A hospital here had her in the mental health system, and they just didn't work at all. The hospital there have her off most of the psych meds and now have her on Ablify (given to autistic kids for irritation and anger) and an ADHD med to couter the intense restlessness that the Ablify brings. She is a lot calmer in terms of the irritability and rages. She has not gotten to that point for a few months now (whereas it was daily before). However, she has bee in hospital, so when she comes home in a couple of weeks, that whole 'safe to explode' at home issue might come again. I hope not.

We have not yet seen a neuropsych, but hope to get on to one when she gets home. I am also interested in what types of therapy/professionals you have been involved with to try and assist your daughter.

Where do you live? We are in Australia. Perhaps there is a difference in the systems where you live and where we live, so we might get easier access/no access to some avenues of help.

I really appreciate you sharing your story.

We live in Texas, USA.

Greta was 8 when she got ADEM and is now 11 years old. We consider ourselves greatly blessed because we got sent 3 hours away to a Children's Hospital in Dallas. This particular facility has one of 2 active "teams" that work with rare demyelinating diseases. Greta was diagnosed, treated and released within 10 days, 5 days being given tremendous steroids and being monitored. She got her vision back in her left eye before we left the hospital.

At Dallas Children's Medical Center, they have different floors based on your situation. Greta ended up finally on the neurology floor. Each day she had visits from the neurology team, the ophthalmologist and a pediatrician specializing in demyelinating diseases. Once released, she was sent for an "overview" at a neurology clinic, attached to the hospital. She saw the same pediatricians and a technician trained in various eye examinations. This is where she also met the representatives from research into these rare diseases and a social worker as well as the neuropsychologist.

Dallas Children's has an "aggressive" program for their ADEM kids. They are seen every six months for the first two years. Then once a year for three more years. If there are no recurrences or other issues, at the end of the total of 5 years of monitoring the child is "released." At each of these check ups, Greta sees folks from the entire team. They always do them on Fridays and that's the day all hands are on deck. She sees research and gives blood for studies. She sees the pediatrician and goes through testing of reflexes and sensations, she repeats eye examinations. She gets tested by the social worker to see if there are any special needs Greta may have regarding schooling and she always sees the neuropsychologist - all in the same day. A team effort.

Greta has also had a separate all day testing and evaluation by the neuropsychologist that ended up giving us a list of possible problem areas for Greta and suggestions on how to help her in the home and school environment. We of course shared these recommendations with anyone directly working with Greta, her teacher, her principal at school, her youth program director at church.

Counseling helped some, but the neuro was very specific, she wanted Greta to see a counselor that only worked with children. That put us in a predicament due to our rural area. Finding a children's counselor that is a good fit for Greta hasn't been easy. We are currently taking a break from it and working on the equestrian therapy. It is a 40 minute drive for us once a week, but it is worth it! Currently, insurance companies in the United States aren't required to treat equestrian therapy as necessary and therefore insured. The PATH certified facility she rides at has a scholarship program that Greta rides on. This therapy has been the most consistent in helping her. She still has her moments, but we are slowly learning to deal with them.

Greta also delves quickly into the "I'm the most horrible person ever" mode when she gets corrected. The neuro says this can sometimes happen, where the patient over reacts to any form of correction. It has to be done very carefully. The other main issues we deal with that are common for ADEM kids/brain injuries: being very literal. We have to explain figures of speech to her many times. Decreased math skills. She is in 5th grade but she started out doing 4th grade level math. She has finally caught up to 5th grade level now towards the end of the year. Extremely fearful. After 10 days in the hospital giving blood and having IV's and spinal taps and MRI's - Greta is very distrustful of medical staff at first. Whenever she is sick, sometimes she asks if she is going to die. She is terrified of doing certain things in certain situations by herself. Finally she angers easily, has trouble controlling her emotions at times. One thing we did get out of counseling is for each person to share something from there day that was frustrating, happy, sad, angering, exciting. This helps Greta to see that she isn't the only one processing emotions and other people have the right to express theirs. She cannot have all the emotional container for the entire family - she has to share.

Lastly (sorry this is so long), Greta behaves best when her specific needs/joys are met. She loves games. When we play a game with her and get her brothers to play along as well, Greta is much more calm and bearable for a few days. When we neglect this desperate need of hers, she becomes short tempered and angry and difficult to work with. A happy Greta is much easier to deal with.

much our house. The issue of ownership of responsibility is a huge one our daughter has had for a long time. I have never quite been able to get to the bottom of it but it seems to be something along the lines of 'If I say I was wrong it means I am a bad person.'. Even if it flys completely in the face of logic, she will say it is not her fault. The 'embarrassing' bit with fault admission really hits with what is going on with her.

My wife and our daughter are currently in Japan - where we had to go to get a decent set of testing done and a diagnosis. A hospital here had her in the mental health system, and they just didn't work at all. The hospital there have her off most of the psych meds and now have her on Ablify (given to autistic kids for irritation and anger) and an ADHD med to couter the intense restlessness that the Ablify brings. She is a lot calmer in terms of the irritability and rages. She has not gotten to that point for a few months now (whereas it was daily before). However, she has bee in hospital, so when she comes home in a couple of weeks, that whole 'safe to explode' at home issue might come again. I hope not.

We have not yet seen a neuropsych, but hope to get on to one when she gets home. I am also interested in what types of therapy/professionals you have been involved with to try and assist your daughter.

Where do you live? We are in Australia. Perhaps there is a difference in the systems where you live and where we live, so we might get easier access/no access to some avenues of help.

I really appreciate you sharing your story.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Can I ask, did our daughter have any issues prior to ADEM? Any learning or developmental issues? We have had one neurologist suggest it is common or a higher chance in kids with these issues. Our daughter had, but to a very mild degree.

A friend of mine suggested equine therapy, so I might look into it.

Greta has a fun/control personality (sangine/choleric), so being in the limelight and getting things done no matter what were already a part of her makeup. It seems that ADEM sometimes accentuates the really strong parts of any personality type and we're left trying to find something to balance it. Greta was a star reader, tutoring kids in reading older than she was. She got great grades in school and loved being an over achiever. After ADEM, she only read baby books/picture books for a while. She has had to rediscover her love for reading.

Flower said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Can I ask, did our daughter have any issues prior to ADEM? Any learning or developmental issues? We have had one neurologist suggest it is common or a higher chance in kids with these issues. Our daughter had, but to a very mild degree.

A friend of mine suggested equine therapy, so I might look into it.

Hello. I’m 25yrs old and caught ADEM at 24 and yes this is a symptom of recovery, the anger is the frustration side, means there getting better :slight_smile:

My behaviour can change from one moment to the next really. Something I’m going to have to deal with

My nervous system felt like it was ravished when I got ADEM, I had raw extreme anxiety. The only thing that would chill me out for a little bit was playing my own music on the piano. My poor nervous system. The whole experience I would describe as a hurricane going through my body. I get very upset about the whole ordeal and the damage done. The equine therapy sounds like a nice idea, may be art therapy too. I was thinking of going for art therapy myself about 6 months ago.

Aggressive behaviour is deffo part of ADEM symptoms/recovery. I have been out of hospital 6months now and my behaviour is up and down. My frustration is terrible but each day is a different day and postive thinking is all it involves.

Oh and I curse really badly when I am angry now.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Vicky, our daughter went through a swearing phase. It was kind of funny, as she has never cursed before and was not very good at it. Gotta laugh when you can I guess.