ADEM, academics and life

Hi all, my son was diagnosed when he was 25 months old. Right now he is 32 months old and seems to be doing very well. Follow up MRI a few months ago showed 97% shrinkage in lesions and radiology referred to it as a ‘resolution’. While I am BEYOND grateful (on my knees every night thanking God for this), I do tend to worry about long term effects and possible recurrence or MS. Right now he seems pretty normal, not seeing anything I would term as a side effect, maybe some fatigue now and then after a long day. He does blink now and then which scares me as I start imagining all sorts of possible causes for that. Anyone have any success stories with kids who are now grown up and doing well? Thanks

1 Like

Hello,
My son was 20months when he got adem and tm, his now 7 and doing well just been left with the following,
Bladder dysfunction ( cant empty bladder ) didnt notice till was out of nappy,
Feet drag when tired,
Gets a cold takes longer to recover,
You see more as they get older but nothing scary compared to some children we are lucky,
I to fear ms but ive learnt to just get on with it what will be will be we cant change what might happen just enjoy what we can, I was a nervous wreck so had to start thinking positive apparently ms doesnt start in kids as young as our children so there first attack is not ms,
I’m sure your little one will be fine my son is on a ice hockey team and football team and academically his doing very well, we nearly lost him he was that I’ll so we are so grateful for all this he ead paralysed for a month aswell,
Hope your little one is ok remember report any changes best get checked but I’m sure he will be fine :slight_smile: x

3 Likes

Hello @MegRa, I see that you are concerned about the future, but I am happy to hear that your son is currently doing well ! I was looking up some past threads for you, and here is one that may be of help: Parents with kids who had ADEM

There were plenty of parents chipping in their stories and concerns on that thread, so please feel free to directly message them or reply to any of their posts!

Keep us posted if you are able to @MegRa, we would love to hear back from you, as many parents do share your concern (and thank you @Cassie for your response… that’s a wonderful story about your son and it’s reassuring to hear it) !

-Arjuna from ModSupport

Well how about 60 yr old going back to school after ADEM, i am finishing the 1st semester of Grad school. And it was…a challenge! my thoughts are different, my processing speed is different, and my short term memory needs a tune up, I’m about 7 months in recovery so i was likely a bit quick to jump back into a Master’s program, but hey it’s about living and not having regrets. I’m gonna do it, and you guys can too!!

5 Likes

I’m 62 and I applaud you! Keep moving forward!!!

2 Likes

I love this @RobLT. Thank you for sharing ! 7 months in recovery and right into a Master’s program? That’s very encouraging to hear!

-Arjuna

2 Likes

Wow! Good for you! Have things changed at all since your undergrad days? :rofl:

Seenie

1 Like

Hi Arunja,
They have changed since my Master’s in Educ. coursework that i completed in 2000, now its completely online, with taped lectures and all assignments and exams turned in via the web, Totally different, but fun and exciting too!

2 Likes

Yep, onward and upward to totally recovery is the goal!

1 Like

Ha! I am sure the pandemic has had an impact on it, but I am glad you’re enjoying the process @RobLT… I look forward to hearing more from you as I love encouraging recovery stories like this !

-Arjuna

1 Like